Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 172

Thread: Va apologizes for slavery...

  1. #21
    Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2003
    Posts
    2,533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Well we should admit that we were wrong in slavery.

    But how do the effects of slavery continue to influence black people? I mean I don't know what it's like to have my family sold into slavery. The majority of us are not promoting slavery and we acknowledge that it happened and that it was wrong. And we know there is still racism.

    I mean, look at Rome. The Romans used to persecute Christians quite often. That was nearly 1500 or so years ago. I don't see any Italians trying to feed me or my other fellow Christians to lions. They should acknowledge that it happened, but if I lived in Italy I wouldn't go around demanding affirmative action from employers because I'm a Christian.

    The British should acknowledge some of the junk they put the Indians through when they barged in over here. I'm part Cherokee. I'm not gonna go around demanding every British person do something to repay me because of how they treated my ancestors.

    My point is, while opressors' descendants should acknowledge that their ancestors were wrong, the opressees' descendants should learn forgiveness.

    As conservative as I am, I do think VA did the right thing by at least acknowledging that they were wrong. But things such as demanding people to repay you for what their ancestors did to your's is only going to cause more racism.

    Like I said before, I'm not going to go to some Italian person and start assuming that I'll be fed to the lions and start demanding to be repayed for the way they treated my fellow Christians nearly 1500 years ago.

    We are just going to have to learn to forgive.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

  2. #22
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Tell me trumpet...how were "we" wrong?...Were you walkin the earth back in 1860 ? "We" don't take credit for sailing to the New World. "We" don't take credit for establishing this country. "We" don't take credit for settling the frontier clear to the Pacific. So, How were "we" wrong in slavery. Maybe the folks that lived then were wrong. But it's not an institution of our lifetime, so "we" owe no one anything.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Hell my ancestors counted afford slaves even if they wanted too. They came from Ireland because that [censored] potatoe famine (sp). Also I think if we are going to say sorry, my bad, to one race then we might as well say sorry to all races.
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

  4. #24
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Good articles all three. These students write better, and more concisely and thoughtfully than a majority of the editorialists in the stable of most mainstream newspapers. Thanks for posting these.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Just something else to keep the race baiters in business.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  6. #26
    Inactive Member swvacsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    I am a descendent of slaveholders. I am also a descendent of indentured servants and of transported criminals. I feel no compulsion to apologize for any of them. The culture in which they lived did not regard slavery with the same degree of repugnance that is now attached to it. Virtually all of the cultures of West Africa at the time of the slave trade practised some form of slavery- so did much of Europe. It does not bother me that the General Assembly passed a resolution condemning the practice as long as due respect is shown for all periods of Virginia history- something which has not been done of late- witness the SCV licence plate. Attempts to ban a flag my ancestors fought under in the name of political correctness are vile and uncalled for. I would support a dead skunk for political office before I would support a politician or educator who banned the display of Confederate battle flag

  7. #27
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    anyone see the story in the Kingsport paper today about the lost side or the lost stories of slavery? It was about Black slave owners. pretty interesting, it focused on one family mostly.
    well, it could have been yesterdays paper. I read both today
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  8. #28
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    There were many black slaveowners.

    There was one black who came over as an indentured servant. Once freed, he amassed quite the collection of slaves. His name escapes me at the moment.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  9. #29
    Inactive Member imported_hhstigerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2003
    Posts
    277
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Well just think if we never brought black people over here. Most of the descendents of the slaves today would be living in some poor village in Africa.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member imported_Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    [ QUOTE ]
    My Cherokee ancestors are awaiting their apology now.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    blame andrew jackson for that one.
    [img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •